Friday, June 28, 2013

Potty Potty Potty!

Helping Mom Chop Nuts
"Potty" I hate that word-I always have. I just think UG just call it going to the bathroom-but that doesn't roll off my tongue to my toddler so hate it or not...it's my llife! I'm now one of those people who uses that stupid "potty" word.... Hmm I think you call us "moms!" And lets not kid ourselves about who is getting trained here! Its the mom!
Anyway, before I get into the story (well stories) first other news, our friends moved :( such a bummer!! Henry on Monday, Asher tomorrow. Poor little Cannon is going to be lost in nursery, and without playgroup, and me too. I mean I could take over as the organizer but really what are the chances of that? Janene (headed it up) and Laura were always there and we had so much fun. I have made great friends here, that has been a blessing, and I'm thankful, but there they go...one to California, one to Pennsylvania. Isaac was commenting on how exciting it was for them to be moving. My guts started to twist and turn in knot as I remember how devastated and heartbroken I was to move here, and how excited he was about the next adventure. If we are any indication at all-its true-opposites attract. I'm sure more friends will come but its definitely sad to see such good ones go.
Playing with Asher and Brice when we went to say "Goodbye"
Ok, on to this potty stuff that has literally consumed my life this last week. I wasn't going to tackle this project before we went to Utah, but last week when Cannon was in the tub and told me "I'm peeing" I realized here's my window. I better take it! (An advantage of being the last one of my siblings to have kids-I've seen how long it takes if you miss the window and I don't have any idea how long those "windows" last) So we've taken the plunge.
Saturday I might have been the worlds biggest fan of diapers, they are so easy, change'm when they need it, the end. It was a lot of trying and failing. I mean we had one little taste of success when I let him sit on the potty for an HOUR with the tablet... not very impressive.
At first it was a toss up as to which one of us was most miserable...but he got to where he was pretty happy rock'n the boxer briefs around the house

Sunday night we did have a success along with a couple of messes.

Monday first thing Cannon was hunting for the tablet (its normal, he knows all of our hiding places too) Isaac was going to let him watch it but I felt his diaper and it was still dry from all night (rare). I said "Over my dead body is he watching that thing unless its sitting on the pot!!" They both complied and we totally started the morning out with a success. I swear I was getting just enough "success" to keep me plugging along at this project. And my 2 big motivators are the thought of buying diapers for 2 kids, no thanks, and as daunting as its seems the thought of doing it with a newborn around seems way worse. So I keep plugging away. Anyway. Cannon is such a smart little boy, one of the things I think that helped a ton was him listening to me vent my frustration to my mom, I was explaining that he knows when he's peeing he just doesn't know when he's going to start, or how to start, he just holds it then unloads...and seriously since that conversation he's done so much better. Its like he listened and thought-Yes I do know mom, I can do it, I'll show you. And so he has. He's done a really good job.

Tuesday was a lot of success (thanks to the bribe of the tablet -free- and a handful of those matchbox 60th anniversary cars that are 60 cents, Cannon's figuring out the world of prizes Bribes Bribes Bribes) anyway we really made it all day (just the day) without any accidents, after we went out and about for and hour and a half or so and came home and he was still dry and went right in and peed I was feeling really good about things! ...I -not necessarily Cannon- was feeling pretty potty trained...then later that night I decided to make dinner, whoops, totally should have fed Isaac cold cereal. As soon as it wasn't my 100% focus the accidents came pouring (or peeing) in. UG. After so much success I was a little discouraged again.

As Wednesday started out the poor kid couldn't hardly breath with out me asking he had to use the bathroom or making him go in and sit on the pot to try. But I loosened up and actually we did have some success then even independent success. Yeah for progress!!! I need to keep things in perspective he really is doing SO good in a really short time (it just feels like forever for me) He even wanted to nap in his undies...I decided the worst that could happen was I'd have to wash he sheets I should have washed this week anyway so what the heck? But he woke up dry :) and it was a LONG NAP. The missionaries (sisters) came over. He said the prayer but couldn't be bothered with eating with us so he was just playing on the couch, I was getting nervous and nagging him like crazy but eventually he went running in the bathroom on his own. (Then came streaking out and said "Missionaries! I Peed!!!!" I was embarrassed but Oh well, it wasn't a big deal, he's 2 and it is the excitement around her these days."
We are by no means out of the woods yet, we started out this morning with "Mom, I pee chair!" (Sigh.) Oh well at least its easy to clean up off the chair, but he's doing good. I have to remind myself that every time its a mess. I think that soccer ball potty was the possibly the best $10 bucks I've ever spent.  Mr. independent likes to dump it in the big potty by himself and flush it. We have had one wreck with that, it resulted in a re-bath for the night. But mostly I'm just so proud of him. He's watched a lot of tablet but I just set the timer for 10 minutes -he stretches that 10 min as long as he can every time but- that's the reward most of the time (his choice)

I'm thankful for technology...my mom gets an ongoing dialogue of the progress-she offered him a dollar to go #2 in the potty.
And now its on the blog for all he world to see/read. Poor kid. Well, I document his every other move (at least for 2 more months) why would this be any different?

We hang out inside as much as possible...and Cannon just loves to tear the couch apart. This video is long for what I usually post but really short compared to how much time he spends playing with the couch cushions. 


Isaac's work sent me flowers  that said "Thanks for being part of our team" That was random but super nice and thoughtful, I was impressed! And I really liked the flowers!
And Cannon and I talked Isaac into going swimming with us before work yesterday :) it was really fun. 
But by the end of the day Cannon wasn't feeling too great. That was a bummer, I hope its just because he's cutting more of those 2 year molars.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the potty successes! I've watched my siblings potty train their kids and its tough work. Sounds like you're little man is doing well! I clearly have abandoned the blogging world lately because I had no idea you were expecting. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete