Friday, March 21, 2014

Service and 7 months

Oh its Friday and blogging time again already, boy the weeks sure seem to go fast, really that's a good thing since we're students right? Don't blink though, my boys are growing up so fast! Colt Buddy is 7 months old today!
I keep thinking he's working on teeth but we haven't seen them yet.
Saturday was a super lazy day for us but we were still fighting the lingering sicknesses and Isaac was catching it. Sunday I went to the 1st and 3rd hours of church (church with no kids...that was unbelievably peaceful) and Isaac did the middle hour then went back after ward to help with things. When he came back my Good Samaritan had that wry little smile on his face as I asked him if he wanted me to make him a plate of nachos (I know, hardly Sunday food, but just to get something in his tummy before naps) and he said "Ya, only thing is the missionaries are coming too." (4 of them not just 2) He is so good, he knew they didn't have anywhere too eat, so he invited them over. (He thought I would just make them nachos too-but A: we didn't have enough stuff for that and B: back to the fact it is hardly a meal) I frantically started peeling potatoes for some soup and thankfully I'd been to the grocery story Saturday and we pulled it off. (He always offers to help after he does things like that but really it's in everyone's best interest for him to stay out of my way...but help with the kids more-and that counts!)
Then it was back to the grind of school and work, Monday we made sure to have some St Patrick's Day fun...We made some treats for the missionaries, for a gal I visit teach, and for our Home Depot friend Cheryl. I had a hard time getting a hold of ANYONE to get the treats too but...we tried, (and eventually had some success) And trying to track down the missionaries we found out about fire trucks at the church.

Whoa! Of course I went and took a picture. It turns out it was an electrical fire ...or something. I finally got a picture of the popcorn popping blossoms.
We like to read the scriptures, Cannon loves them, but they are hard sometimes. Like after reading David and Goliath I get questions like "Why is he a giant?" Okay, I can handle that but "Why did he chop his head off with a sword?" Dang the scriptures are pretty gruesome! It's good for us to read out of the Old Testament once in a while though, its certainly not my strong point! After David and Goliath and several discussions of the chopped off head we had to make a change! We turned our focus to King Benjamin, and what he taught us: Service! So I told Cannon we would do a service project. Well when I told him we were going to the store Tuesday he asked "To buy some service?" So cute but I realized if I told him we were going to do a service project I'd better hurry up to prevent more confusion, so Wednesday morning we made it happen! How cute is this?
I was so proud of him. He was great. We picked up garbage across the street from the church, it is a really busy road so no in action pictures -well kind of one, (below) but- I was busy holding his hand (and the garbage bag) -Colt was strapped to the font of me- all of the sudden just typing that I'm thinking Oh Ya, no wonder I woke up with a sore back the other day. Hmm. Oh well. Anyway Cannon was so SO CUTE! I loved it. He asked me "Why don't people pick up their own garbage?" Great question buddy, but we just talked about how they should but since they didn't we had a chance to do service and that him helping made Mom really happy and Dad really happy and then I said "And who else?..." Totally fishing for "Heavenly Father" but instead Cannon said "Abinidi! He will be so proud." It was darling. With our project I thought I might as well teach him a scripture to go with it...so we worked on "...When you are in the service of fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." SURPRISE! "Beings" really just sounds like "Beans" if your almost 3 it was hilarious to Cannon so then of course we went the rounds "Not beans like beans you eat, its beings like people." But he'd laugh and every time we'd practice the scripture I'd say "When your in the ........., of your fellow....." and he's say "service" but then "beans you eat!!!" and laugh...pretty much every time. Oh well we had fun and I was very VERY proud of him. We did find this big stick I made him wait to pick it up until on the way back to the church but he got to carry it to the dumpster all by himself...he was really disappointed we had to throw it away.
I really think that was the highlight of our week. I can't think of much else. We did a little FHE on Thursday with a recent convert that Isaac home teaches, its March Madness-that is always fun but sometimes its embarrassing to be a Cougar fan (I tell Isaac that every time after they lose.) Oh and preschool was here this week-I only remembered that because I'm eating the left over treats as I type.
Here's a little brothers bath:

And Colt had these weird red spots one night, I sent this picture to Grama asking here opinion, luckily they were cleared up the next day but he spit food all over when I tried to snatch a picture to send her of the cleared up version...silly kid- at least he was happy, well, and better!
Monday night I couldn't sleep, as I lay in bed I dreamt up -while awake- a quick trip home, to leave Friday for Grampa's birthday just be gone a week it would be so fun, we've found cheap tickets on flying Allegient only 10 days out before, oh, my mind went wild! I started packing in my head and everything. Isaac was...okay...with the idea when I mentioned it Tuesday morning but I caught him a little off guard, but I was still set-until I looked up tickets and they were super expensive :( not going. It was big bummer and let down after my surprisingly enjoyable sleepless night. In the words of Cannon "Maybe another time." And how I always answer him "Ya, maybe another time."

1 comment:

  1. You're such a great mom! I have to steal your service idea. And cannon really impresses me with his scripture knowledge. Miss you guys :)

    ReplyDelete