Friday, August 31, 2012

Isaac Isaac Isaac

Even though I never caught it with my camera, Cann Man's getting the one handed dunk down! When his dad's around to lift him up he can hardly be bothered with the little tikes hoop. We did take it to the church too though.
 
Fitting that right after we get here there would be a Hurricane. Even more fitting that its name is Isaac. Oh brother. Here's a funny line from Shawn's last email home: "So ya apparently Isaac is making a big entrance to Mississippi. He moves here and then gets a Hurricane named after him" That made me smile.  Isaac asked me if I was worried about the hurricane. I said "No, there's nothing we can do about it, we have our 72 hour kits..." (I do feel like we're well educated in the emergency preparedness department, not that we're perfect but I'm grateful that we already had flashlights and a camp stove and so on.) Then I explained that I was just worried about milk for Bubba because that's our nighttime thing -but I had a plan to go buy some powdered junk. YUCK. Anyway as time went on...yes I worried about it. Not knowing what to expect other than "we'll probably lose power" made me plenty anxious. Power was out here for 2 weeks in some places when Hurricane Katrina hit. -That would suck! In the stress department: apparently the  Hurricanes can actually create tornadoes. Yeah-I worried. I bought the fake milk junk then thought better of it and just went and bought an ice chest (too bad our old one didn't make the trip, I only paid $3 for it an a yard sale) but  this way Bubba would be able to have real milk. The lady by the batteries in Walmart said "Oh don'tch you worry, everyone's just make'n a big fuss, it idnt go'n be that bad, you goin to get hot though, you an that baby is goin to get hot. Jus try an stay cool." Too bad I don't really know how to type in the southern accent but you get it the idea. Anyway, she didn't seem to think it was going to be a big deal, it turned out she was right, but you should've see the stores. Drinking water flying off the shelves, hardly a flashlight left at Walmart, huge lines at the gas stations. Crazy.  They canceled Isaac's school for Wed but the storm was so slow it didn't even really rain Wed until the evening, then all night and all day Thursday and the wind blew but everything was fine, power included. I guess some of the campus did lose power so then ended up canceling his school for the rest of the week, plus Labor day, its a big good break from school only 1 week in.
We had the Sister missionaries over for dinner and emailed their parents afterward just like we did for the Elders but it was a nice relief for their folks to hear the Hurricane was no big deal. Pretty much though Isaac-the storm- dominated the week
Last Friday night we got our first taste of Southern HS football-and truthfully I wasn't impressed. 3 turnovers the first 3 possessions. Lame. It was a pretty big show to start with the band and everything and all and a huge crowd but that's all just hoopla. Cannon HATED all of the sticky rain on his face so we didn't survive it. Blake and Isaac stayed, they said the game did clean up a little but then it was a blowout (and not for the team of the kid in our ward-oh well) Apparently the game we went to was the "Super bowl of Rankin county" Whatever. This week we're going to hit an Ole Miss game with the youth in our ward. I am excited about it, it should be fun. Saturday I went out with the sister missionaries. We definitely want to be the good helpful ward members but yikes. They had an appointment to teach but got stood up so then they were just trying to make contacts. Yikes. I mean we did talk to 2 different really nice guys that were home with their kids but as a general rule southern hospitality ends when you step to someones door. I was with the missionaries for a little more than 2 hours but it felt like way longer. I know that's what Isaac wants to do when we retire. (I guess I shouldn't really stress yet, we've still got to get through school and get a job and work at it long enough to be able to retire, so we're not talking tomorrow or anything.) I'll have to practice up. Church is still a little different here. They have a "linger longer" the last Sunday of every month. I thought I'd bid those farewell with the singles ward-anyway just different. And then the big buzz was preparing for Isaac.
Here's our cute little reader. He's way into fanning through the pages with his thumb right now. Too cute. And I'm really happy that I learned to love reading (in my 20's) through children's books because we now have several that I bought when I was single and care free. I get them out one by one deciding each time I'd rather have my son enjoy it than "keep it nice" I love reading with him, but its extra cute when he and his dad read together.

1 comment:

  1. Well aren't you just securing your spot in the celestial kingdom!

    ReplyDelete